9.17.2010

one hundred. thirty eight.

i have been getting into mumford & sons quite a bit.
at first i was just a poser.
"oh yeah, i LOVE them! great band. great music."
but really, i had barely heard anything about them. mostly i just liked the people who liked them. so i liked them too.
this got difficult when people asked me my favorite song.
"oh, i mean...all of them! right? they are just...so good. can't even decide."
anyhow, now i have moved past that. not that i have favorite song now because i really do like several of them most. their music & lyrics are grand.
i am an honest fan.

sometimes i have conversations with customers & it's almost like we are speaking different languages. I just find it very difficult to communicate with them. you know what i mean? have you ever had those people where you just can't talk to each other very well? someone is mumbling, or making references you don't understand but thought you did, everyone is confused...
such a conversation happened the other day:
[man comes up to counter for refill]
me: you need a refill?
him: yup. hey, i heard the breaking news in the mens bathroom! you're getting a lobster tail!
me: [wonders if i heard wrong when he said mens bathroom] Oh, really? I had no idea. I guess I'm out of the loop.
him: yup! that's what I heard! Lobster tail!
me: [fairly certain i did hear mens bathroom] Wow, well I guess I'll have to visit the mens bathroom more... often...[trails off]
him: [looks at me strangely. maybe he didn't say mens bathroom? gives dark, bitter laugh as if I just make a joke about the apocalypse.] No, not necessary. Not advised.
[Brief silence as I hand him his refilled coffee cup.]
Him: Yup, and it's going to go right there! [points vaguely in the direction of the wall]
Me: Oh! Very interesting! [I look in the direction he pointed at, thoroughly confused. Man goes & stands in front of television playing news. I sit & try to make sense of our conversation...did he say mens bathroom?]

I figured out later that he did indeed say mens bathroom. There is an ad in there for lobster mania. I still have no explanation for the rest of the conversation.

No comments: