10.26.2007

eight

Tonight I am actually fulfilling the title of this blog. I have tea. I am feeling whimsical. It's a lovely combination. I feel a longish entry coming on, perhaps. Brace thyself.

I kind of wanted to start this entry off with something about the goose call I heard outside... something that might slightly resemble a facebook status. "Christina is feeling like the lonely call of a wild goose."
Not necessarily because that's how I'm really feeling, I just like how it sounds. I think I tend to do that, write or say something because I think it sounds nice. I wish I wouldn't, because looking back it's very melodramatic, drama queen diva writer. You know? So I will try to refrain.
Although tonight, that feels true, actually. Still. I will refrain. I will stick with my current facebook status that is recurrent, a title to a Coldplay song that Mansoonie so kindly introduced to me. "Swallowed in the Sea." It's nice.

That goose call was really really beautiful though. I wish you could have heard it. I just love fall so very much. It's such a wonderful time to be alive.

I think it's funny the habits that people get into. Something like sleeping, for instance. In the summertime I sleep a certain way, and then as it gets colder I switch because our house is frigid, and the tighter my body is curled, the better. However, I always lay on my right side whilst reflecting/praying/stressing and then switch to my left when it's time to sleep. Always. I always go to the same bathroom at Harper, even if another one is closer. I always go to the same water fountains, even though one of them is really awful. I think I always put my left shoe on first. Every morning I let my dog out and then go to the bathroom and then feed my dog and then step outside to check the weather.

There was a man eating crackers at Harper yesterday. He ate his crackers in a very specific, unique way. Imagine, if you will, how a squirrel eats. It's got those cute little paws, stuffs a cracker into its mouth, and then slowly chews it down until it's all gone. Now imagine a grown man eating a cracker like that, except no paws. No hands. Just puts this [rather large] cracker in his mouth, lets it sit there as he reads or writes, and slowly chews it down until it's all gone. I watched him eat six crackers that way. I counted. It was just... really interesting.

You cut me down a tree
And brought it back to me
And that's what made me see
Where I was going wrong

In Lit class we are talking about the Victorian era, and how important it was for them to know how they were being represented, and how they were representing themselves. It's interesting to look at how different author's literature influenced the way that society was viewed, the way we view their society. It makes me wonder how literature today would affect the view of our society in the future. What if someone read something I wrote and based their view of life in 2007 on that? What would they say? What would be defining characteristics of this culture in literature? Literature changed a lot in England with the rise of industrialization, that's why all the novels are a bajillion pages, like David Copperfield, because suddenly it was so much easier to print things cheaply. How about the internet, how does that affect literature today?

I am a nerd. I like school. I like Lit class. And I really love Sign Language classes. I just go in and smile, it's so fantastic. I've got expressive exam #3 on Monday. I can now ask you to go to the store and buy me some cigarettes in ASL. I've come a long way.

There are some lovely flowers sitting in front of me. I think I can smell them.

Adam Lambert can really just... belt out a song. I mean, honestly....

And I could write it down
And spread it all around
Get lost and then get found
And you'll come back to me
Not swallowed in the sea

And I could write a song
A hundred miles long
Well that's where I belong
And you belong with m
e

-Christina



No comments: