9.23.2009

one hundred. one.

My body is heavy, too tired to bear its own weight. 
Every second I slip into a slightly more slumped position.
Soon I'll be just a heap on the floor.
Blegh. 10 hours at work and 1 crappy movie is enough for one day. I'm through. 

What did brighten this gloom is a message from the fellow. We both shared great stories from our day via facebook message [the most romantic form of communication, obviously]. His was that he tackled pumping some outhouses at camp today. I won't go into the gory details, but it makes for a funny episode if you enjoy that stinky, fecal matter side of humor. My story is as follows, copied from the message so that I don't have to retype. 

Story: This one old guy walks in, and I asked, like I always do: "Hello! How are you doing today?" So this old guy gets super mad, and says "I KNEW you were going to ask me that!" Obviously, I'm confused at his reaction, so I give him a questioning look. 
"I don't know you and you don't know me!" he says. "Why would you ask me that? I was happy before you asked."
"And now you're not? Because I asked?" I said, trying to be upbeat.
"Correct. I want a small coffee."
I get him a small coffee. He remarks on the cheap price [which turns out to be sarcasm], then says: "You know what? The biggest percentage of people who ask that question are young and unmarried women." He's saying all of this in just the rudest tone. Like I'm an idiot. And offensive. 
"Are you sure it doesn't have more to do with the fact that I'm...working behind a counter?" I ask. I'm getting mad. Sometimes when I get mad I start to cry, so I'm trying not to cry at this point. But I'm still trying to be upbeat.
"No. It's because you don't know or understand the trials and tribulations of life yet. And let me tell you something, honestly. I'm being honest. I'm never coming back here again. I'm serious. I won't be back. McDonald's gives senior citizens coffee for 50 cents." He makes a face like I am ridiculous, grabs his coffee, says "God Bless" and walks out.


What a wretched ordeal. I honestly just didn't know how to respond. I have this thing that maybe falls into typical lines of human nature that I wish to be liked and accepted, and if someone has a problem with me I really don't like it. I don't appreciate conflict or drama. I'm kind of an up front person. So while I appreciated his candor and honesty, I had no idea how to take someone being so outlandishly rude to me. Who does that?!
I'd honestly just rather be cleaning up crap with the fellow in the U.P. than dealing with that old, crabby man.

No comments: