7.28.2011

one hundred. eighty five.

The internet has pooped out at our house, so I'm mooching off the internet at the coffee shop and listening to Frank Sinatra sing "My Kind of Town."
It's always rough to sit at work and try and get things done when I've clocked out because inevitably I start talking to customers who walk in. Or they start talking to me. Either way - it's not an effective plan if I want to get work done.

Speaking of coffee shops, my Dad & I went on a coffee shop tour in Wilmette/Evanston/Chicago a few days ago. That was super fantastic, plus I got to drink a ton of coffee and espresso. If you need coffee shop recommendations in those areas, I've got it covered. And take me with you.

The other day, at work, medium iced mocha Mike came in wearing a shirt and tie. He's usually a jeans and t-shirt guy, he drops his daughter off at daycare right before he comes, so I commented on how he looked dapper and asked him what he was up to.
In the most solemn fashion and with a straight face he said:
"I'm going to bury someone."
Pause. We're staring at each other.
Then I remembered that Mike works at a funeral home, so I laughed a single laugh and said: "Oh."
Then Mike laughed pretty hard.
"But seriously, I'm going to bury someone."
"I know you are. I believe you."
Mike has a sense of humor about his job. He says you've got to.

It's raining just a bit now.
I was supposed to go home and weed, but now I just want to go home, curl up and finish reading Stephen King's "On Writing." I already finished "The Omnivore's Dilemma," which left me fascinated with mushrooms. "On Writing" has been interesting. I've never read a Stephen King novel, but I'm enjoying his tips for writers and his quirky, honest look at how he became a writer.



Or maybe I'll bake some bread.
Last Sunday I baked a loaf from this book.
Orange Raisin Bagel Bread, something like that.
Yesterday I made some of the loaf into French Toast.
Yum!




Tomorrow I get to see the lovely Amanda who is coming into town!
This will be joyous. She is a dear heart who lives one million miles away.

Saturday I'll be heading to the city to look for antiques at the Randolph Street Market, and then back home for a rodeo. Yes. My first rodeo, and in my hometown to boot.
It will be quite a day with city-folk and then rodeo-folk. I just love people.
Apparently at the Randolph Street Market there will be an LP swap, antiques, indie designer market, and it's considered "the mecca of cool."
Sign me up.
Not sure if the rodeo is considered "the mecca of cool" but I wouldn't be surprised.

No comments: