12.30.2008

sixty.six.

blech. espresso is gross.
i had to drink a lot today because i have a job working at a coffee house now.

crraaazzzy.

please let me tell you how insane my life is:
yesterday - walk into sweet little coffee house that actually works with farmers and works for fair trade and all that jazz/roasts their own coffee. ask if they are hiring. they say no. they say: another company is hiring close to here [closer to my casa], and training starts tomorrow. they share the same values as this coffee shop, and we train employees. you can fill out an application and drop it off tonight. see what happens.
me: ok.
i struggle to write my application out in my car for a while. i'm a dunce at filling out paperwork. my fellow comes and helps me finish writing it and we cavort around barnes & noble for a few minutes.
i drop it off. the lady asks me if i can interview tomorrow.
me: ok.

today: i walk in at 8:55 for my interview [that's right. five minutes early.] surprise! i'm hired, no interview. i begin training promptly at ten, after filling out more stupid paperwork. i drink espresso all day.
coffee is an art to these people.
me: i'm going to florida next week, i won't be here for the second week of training.
my new boss: that fine [she has an accent.] we just finish train when you come back. you have one on one train at sweet other little coffee shop.
me: ok.

downsides - i have to wear black pants, a polo and a baseball hat. just an idea: if you were trying to create a community and an atmosphere, wouldn't you want your employees dressing like normal persons? i think so. at the other sweet little coffee shop their dress code is "no crack in front. no crack in back." i think this is an admirable standard to live by, and my coffee shop should implement its simple charm.
other downsides - i have to drink a lot of espresso/potentially turn my teeth ugly colors.

upsides - strange blessing that i happened to ask about applications the day before training starts.
boss very easy-going about me missing a week of training.
20 minutes from my house.
good schedules.

upside/downside: i work with scary man with E.T. like head and major suck-up capabilities.
upside - touch of humor, alien presence.
downside - touch of oddness, alien presence.

this has been quite a day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmmm espresso!