11.26.2010

one hundred. fifty six.

I'd like to get all decked out with Dickens and make a goose this year for Christmas.
Don't even try and tell be that wouldn't be a ball.
I've got a recipe all picked out.
This is how I tend to do things.
The first time I have a baking lesson with Hannah we make croissants.
CROISSANTS.
Not only do they take hours to make, they also turn into a disaster very quickly.
Now, the first time I decide I want to make a Christmas dinner I pick a goose with all the trimmings.
Sometimes I can't distinguish between a challenge and setting myself up for disaster.

Went Black Friday shopping with 4 generations of ladies.
My great-grandma, my Meme, my mom & aunt, my cousins & my sister.
Great fun.
I love my family.
We are big and crazy and isn't everyone? Quite wonderful.
I am, however, on a bit of a guilt trip on account of the shopping I did for myself.
I just finished reading that book by Donald Miller where they go on a road trip and find themselves thankful for just cereal.
I don't love everything by Donald Miller, but I do enjoy some things he writes, like when he writes about our need for things...
And here I am. Black Friday. Buying things I don't need the day after Thanksgiving.
Ironic, really.
We spend a day being thankful for the things we have, then wake up early to spend money on things we don't need.
Unless you are like my Meme who only buys gifts for everyone else and splurges on a pair of socks for herself.
That's the spirit.
& not that I'm on some bitter self-loathing trip, it just makes me think about what I have and what I need.
You know?

I've been awake for so long but I'm still not tired.
You up for a midnight game of Battleship?
Nothing sounds as good to me right now as a game of Battleship and a glass of chocolate milk.

No comments: