12.22.2010

one hundred. sixty three.

I should never be allowed to enter a department store alone.
I wander aimlessly, filled with good intentions mixed with an impulsive consumer drive.
Today it was Walmart.
I had two things to pick up: curtain rods and dog food. I can usually tear myself away from clothes, shoes, electronics, etc... Not too much of a problem. My self-control is exceptional.
However, do not put me in home goods.
Alone and defenseless I will muse thoughtfully over cutting boards, compare pillows, browse sheets, inspect comforters, sniff candles and gaze longingly at can openers, spatulas and other kitchen doo-dads.
There is not much rhyme or reason behind this.
I do not have a home of my own.
I can't attribute my interest to the high-quality offered.
And yet I find myself shocked and sorely tempted when I round the corner and find FLEECE THROWS: 2 FOR $3!
I run my hand along the soft, patterned blanket and wonder at such a deal, regardless of the fact that we have close to 83...trillion blankets in our house.
It could be even more.
I lost count after we stocked up on blankets and cheese powder in preparation for Y2K. Thankfully we didn't need them, but we still haven't quite recovered. The cheese powder is gone, but the blankets have remained, even multiplied after moving to a bigger house.
No, I didn't buy any blankets today.
This does not lessen the danger of me in a home goods section. Today I might be able to walk away, but next time will I come home with a down alternative comforter? A variety of kitchen knives? Olive oil bottles?
It's a real problem.

Went to the city yesterday with a merry gang, including newly engaged Jacbo & Jenna.
Lauren, Tai and I were positively gushing the whole day through.
It's good to see things that are right, and they are right.
Another [lesser] reason I am excited: road trip for the wedding. I'm not sure if Daphne [my little Honda] will make the whole trip, but let's cross our fingers and hope so. I automatically link driving to music, so my mind involuntarily begins making playlists for the drive. It will be grand. I'm banning Alabama from the playlist, Taylor. Also, Bon Jovi.

Need to get back to making an enormous amount of Christmas gifts.
Truth: I'll probably just go and watch some more documentaries about food. I'm totally hooked.

No comments: