12.30.2010

one hundred. sixty four.

Christmas was an exceptionally good one. Everyone in my family was far too generous, my Mom cried at her gift [yessss] & merry times were had by all. The family from Tennessee was up for a few days which was bittersweet. So sad they don't live closer, although Tai and I now are filled with good intentions to visit them for an extended stay.
Also, the cousins came up for Christmas Eve and we had the most hilarious evening. First, Tai, Liz, Bethany & I played the funniest game of LIFE I have ever played. I can't even explain why, but we didn't even finish the game because we were crying too hard.
We also decided to keep with tradition and watch old family videos of past Christmas Eve "shows" we would do for our parents. I'm sure I have talked often enough about how nerdy and awkward I was when I was younger....but seriously. I literally have never seen anyone with a haircut like the one I was sporting.
Lastly, Bethany decided to ask us a series of questions about kissing and how it works because she had seen two people kissing in a movie. It was one of those conversations with young children where they are full of curiosity & unbarred by social standards and norms. This makes for quite an interesting conversation, full of unheard of perceptions & ideas about proper kissing techniques. Needless to say, this will be a good conversation to remind Bethany of in about 5 years.

Chris got me a box set of 6 C.S. Lewis books I didn't have. I'm excited to work my way through them. Already through "A Grief Observed" which was insightful and a bit surprising. I also received a Johnny Flynn record, a Coldplay record, various gift cards and a pair of headphones that are not earbuds. What do you call them? I don't even know, they cover my ears and are chunky. I like them.

I just tried to eat a massive bite of potato and almost split my jaw open. It still hasn't quite recovered from my extremely hardcore [not really] sledding accident a few weeks back. This should be teaching me to eat like a lady, but so far I still try to manage enormous bites and suffer painful consequences. Dash it all.

The day after Christmas was the most depressing day. I always have issues with the day after Christmas. All of the gifts and family and eating make me quite languid the next day. I also come to the sad realization that Christmas is now so far away. I remember distinctly feeling this way for the first time years ago, right after the Christmas where I got my "Walk to Remember" soundtrack. No matter how many times Mandy Moore sang Only Hope, nothing would ever compare to the moment when I opened it, because then I was joyful and glowing, and the day after I was obese, wearing my baggiest clothes and too overwhelmed with Christmas to do anything but sit and listen to the soundtrack over and over. 
[We can just slide right over the fact that I was totally obsessed with that soundtrack for years and still occasionally play it in my car.]

Anyhow, now I'm back to work and getting my life moving again. I've been working like a mad person on our attic, trying to get it ready for Tai and I to move our beds up there so we can make our room more functional for crafts, writing, homework, dance parties, etc. Right now it's a bit cramped.

One of my favorite customers, Jeremy, was in writing his book at the coffee shop all this week.
He says it's a science fiction novel [did I say this already? I feel like I'm repeating myself...] so we joke that it's a science fiction novel about baristas.
He's secretly writing about us.
We try to give him some material to go off of.
If no one else is in the coffee shop I'll randomly yell at my boss "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU STOLE THE FAMILY JEWELS!"
Then I remember it's science fiction so I add something stereotypical like "...AND SOLD THEM TO THE ALIENS!!"
We get a kick out of ourselves.
Jeremy told me if he ever makes it, he'll give me a copy of his book.

Never really worry for a bit
Sometimes it feels worse than it really is
You may always be changing your mind
Just push hard for the finish line.

No comments: